- 3 red peppers, halved and seeded
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, skinned and chopped
- 1lb/450g vine tomatoes, halved and seeded
- 1 long, red chilli, finely chopped or 1 chilli flakes
- 1 pint/500ml chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt, pepper and 1/2tsp sugar
Place red peppers, skin side up, on a lined baking tray, under a hot grill until the skin has black blisters
- Put hot pepper halves into a polythene bag for 15mins. The skins should now peel easily. Cut peppers into chunks.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and sauté onions until soft and transparent.
- Add tomatoes, peppers and chilli and cook for a further few minutes, then add stock.
- Simmer, never boil, the soup gently for approx. 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly, liquidize, then sieve to remove any excess skin or pips.
- Taste and season accordingly.
Reheat to serve. Then spoon a dollop of crème fraiche into each serving and scatter snipped chives on top.